What is a Michigan? It's a steamed hot dog, served on a bun with mustard, chopped onions, and a special "Michigan sauce." They are usually served at seasonal food stands by carhops--very quaint! What follows is my adaptation of the Michigan sauce recipe.
- 1 lb. 90% (or leaner) ground beef
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped (I use a food processor)
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped (food processor again)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. onion salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 5-10+ drops hot pepper sauce, depending on your "hotness" preferences (I use Gunslinger Smokin' Hot Jalapeño Pepper Sauce, which I got in Kansas.)
- 1/4 c. water
Ironically, I have been a vegetarian for several years, but will make this upon request for my loved ones!